Monday, February 7, 2011

Parent Newsletter: Fifth Week of School




Dear Parents,
            Today in our science lesson we focused on discovering what was inside a seed. In order to prepare for today’s activity I purchased lima beans at the local grocery store. Then overnight I soaked the lima beans in water. I gathered up the materials needed for this activity which included magnifying glasses and an illustration of the inside of a lima bean.  To begin the lesson I asked the students how plants begin and how a seed turns into a plant.  I gave each student a Lima bean, that has been soaked in water. This makes it easier to open. I showed them how to open the seeds carefully. Then I asked students to see if they can find out how a seed turns into a plant. After looking on their own, I had the students help friends find out why. I had them talk about it and share their thoughts with one another. To conclude the activity I explained to the students how a seed turns into a plant using the illustration of the inside of a seed. The students found this activity interesting and many are determined to grow plants from seeds in the spring!
                                                                                     Sincerely,
                                                                                     Ms. Gammell

No comments:

Post a Comment